Associate City Planner - Commercial Zoning - Community Planning and Development
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About Our Job
City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A for additional information.
The City and County of Denver’s Community Planning and Development Department (CPD) is seeking three highly motivated and creative individuals to fill full-time Associate City Planner positions on our Commercial Zoning team.
We are currently hiring for two full-time unlimited positions, and one full-time limited position with an expected end date of December 21, 2022.
This posting will close at 11:59PM on November 2, 2021.
At Community Planning and Development, we envision, enable, and ensure a better Denver. Denver's Community Planning and Development Department is responsible for visionary city planning and ensuring that all buildings are safe. Community Planning and Development plays a role in growing our world-class city, while keeping its beloved features intact. From the skyscrapers of the Central Business District; to the walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods of Central Park; to the charming Victorian effects of the Baker district, the staff at Community Planning and Development works to make Denver a great place to live, work and play. The department's three primary functions are planning, permitting and inspections. Learn more about how we're "BUILDING COMMUNITY" at www.DenverGov.org/CPD .
Interested? At the City and County of Denver and CPD you can apply your expertise and contribute directly to the community. Please review the required qualifications and submit your application/resume for consideration by clicking the 'Apply' button at the top of this posting and/or visit our job center.
The candidates selected for the Associate City Planner positions will be part of the Commercial Zoning Team and responsible for the review and issuance of commercial zoning permits for use, minor site improvements, minor construction, billboards, marijuana, parking evaluations, signs, home occupation, special events, commercial/over-height fences, complex zoning research, staffing a front counter, and coordinating cases before the Zoning Board of Adjustment. The Associate City Planners will also participate in a wide variety of short-term and long-term team projects and tasks to implement and support daily zoning permitting and administration activities within Development Services.
Key responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and approving zoning permit submittals for compliance with adopted city plans, the zoning code, and other related rules and regulations
- Reviewing development submittal requirements and zoning permit applications for compliance with zoning and land use development code regulations
- Staffing the permit counter, phone, and email duties to respond to customer inquiries
- Coordinating and tracking review and approval of zoning permit submittals with other reviewers inside CPD, with other city departments and agencies, and with appointed boards and commissions
- Assessing multiple reviewer comments and coordinating resolution of any outstanding issues, conflicts, and concerns
- Gaining proficiency and expertise with the city-wide project database to quickly find information and derive answers to project or property related inquires; create and run queries to generate data for regular status reporting and custom reporting in response to special requests
- Maintaining appropriate electronic files and records
- Other duties as assigned
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills, and experience:
- One to three years of zoning review experience
- Experience working with zoning codes and other regulatory tools, such as urban design standards and guidelines
- Excellent customer service experience
- Ability to examine plans and process applications under workload deadline conditions
- Keen attention to detail, highly organized, and self-motivated
- Works well under pressure and able to multitask
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including creating documents explaining zoning regulations and plan compliance to developers, architects, engineers, contractors, property owners, and others
- Problem solver who can envision various outcomes and plan accordingly
- Knowledge of the procedural regulations applicable to zoning plans processing work
- Strong research and analytical skills, especially in relation to zoning and other land use regulatory tools
- Ability to read, and interpret, and analyze documents such as improvement surveys, site plans, and elevation drawings
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, and permit processing software such as Accela
- Previous experience in a public sector and/or land use regulatory environment
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in City or Regional Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Engineering, or a related field
- Experience: Three (3) years of professional planning experience
- Licensures/Certification(s): None
- Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
To be considered for this position, you must include the following on your job application (upload the attachments to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Cover Letter
Your application has been successfully submitted.