Urban Design Principal City Planner – Community Planning and Development
About Our Job
The City and County of Denver utilizes a hybrid model workplace that balances the responsibilities of public service with the benefits of a flexible work environment. Employees work where needed, at a city site and/or in the field at least two days a week, and telecommute remotely at a designated workplace within the State of Colorado the remaining days.
This posting will accept applications until May 30, 2022.
The City and County of Denver’s Community Planning and Development Department (CPD) is seeking a highly motivated and creative individual with strong design experience to fill a full-time Principal City Planner – Urban Design position on our Planning Services Division’s Regulatory Planning team.
The Principal City Planner will contribute urban design expertise to the Planning Services work program, with a focus on regulatory implementation. In this position, you will work in interdisciplinary teams on a variety of exciting and complex projects including developing new zoning code and design standards and guidelines (DSG), contributing to long range plans, and guiding infrastructure projects that impact the public realm.
Our Planning Services Division’s Regulatory Planning team works on interesting projects such as:
As a Principal City Planner, duties include:
- Lead complex regulatory projects that require urban design expertise, such as zoning code amendments and design standards and guidelines
- Participate in long range plans at various scales including small area plans and master plans
- Partner with agencies such as Department of Parks and Recreation, Department of Transportation & Infrastructure, City Council, as well as external stakeholders such as community groups and contractors on design and infrastructure projects and provide urban design expertise for public realm design
- Conduct design review for private development projects under review
- Attend and present to the public about plans, projects that impact their communities
- Mentor Planners on the team and demonstrate best practices with design zoning code, standards, and guidelines
It is possible that the position could include supervision of one or two planners/urban designers.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience that demonstrates a multi-disciplinary approach to planning and urban design
- Demonstrated leadership skills for building and supporting strong teams and for leading complex planning and urban design projects
- Commitment to integrating equity into planning and design
- Experience with MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and SketchUp. Hand-drawing and 3D rendering skills also desired
- Ability to thrive in a team-based culture with a focus on the STARS values
- Excellent written, verbal and design communication skills
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in City or Regional Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Engineering, or a related degree
- Experience: Six (6) years of professional planning experience
- License/Certifications: Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
- Education/Experience Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
To be considered for this position, you must include the following on your job application (upload the multiple attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Cover letter, telling us about yourself, your interest and experience
- Portfolio with three work samples that demonstrate your urban design and graphic skills. At least one of the samples must highlight your experience using 3D modeling software such as SketchUp
Your application has been successfully submitted.