Otak has an exciting opening for an Architectural Designer! This role is responsible for supporting the project team through planning and design of structures such as multifamily housing, commercial, and mixed-use projects. The Architectural Designer collaborates with the Project Architect and other project team members to support the overall design direction, development of architectural design details, and preparation of documents to support the design review and construction processes.
This position may be based out of our Portland, OR or Denver, CO office location.
What You'll Do:
- Develop a thorough understanding of a projects’ design philosophy and provide input in developing a design and building performance strategy.
- Contribute to the preparation of design documents and detailed development of construction documents during all project phases including, design development, construction drawings, as-built drawings, 2D drafting, BIM 3D Modeling, and generating ROM estimates.
- Assist in the research of materials and systems necessary for the constructability and practical execution of a project.
- Coordinate with consulting engineers and product vendors.
- Create renderings, colored elevations, or other graphic documents for meetings, presentations, or submittals.
- Assist in field verification, including field measurements and record documentation.
- Review shop drawings and material samples for conformance with design.
- Participate in maintaining contact with clients, consultants and contractors during all project phases, including marketing, and client/owner presentations as required.
What You'll Bring:
- A minimum of three to five years relevant professional experience.
- Bachelor or Masters of Architecture Degree, or commensurate experience required.
- Ability to provide own transportation to project sites in and around local communities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills that mesh well with diverse personality types.
- Familiarity with and experience using computer-aided design software such as AutoCAD, REVIT and SketchUp.
- Knowledge of principals of sustainability and integrated design.
- Knowledge of Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Project Delivery methods.
- Effective critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and reasoning.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate with diverse project team members.
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Knowledge of building materials and systems and able to develop construction details
- Knowledge of basic structural systems and MEP systems to ensure proper coordination of the work produced by such disciplines
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
Salary Range: $55,000-70,000 per year
At our core, we believe that supporting our communities begins with supporting our employees. No matter what stage you’re at in your career, we have a comprehensive total rewards program to enhance your quality of life, help support your family, and assist you in achieving your personal and professional goals. Otak employees enjoy competitive salaries; no-cost medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; a 401(k)-retirement match that is 100% vested immediately; Paid Time Off (PTO) accrual based on your industry experience rather than your seniority plus 9 paid holidays per year; a commuter allowance (based on your office location); support for your professional registration and/or certification fees; and much more!
Why work at Otak?
When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
What is it really like to work at Otak? Watch this short video: Our Why
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
Otak is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. The Equal Opportunity policy at Otak, Inc. provides a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, nation origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status or disability or any other status(es) protected by law. Otak ensure nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and mandatory supplements to EEO (revisions).
At Otak, we recognize that inclusion is a practice and we are determined to lead our industry by embedding that practice into our work. Cultivating an inclusive workplace environment is ongoing and consistent work, requiring dedication and commitment from every member of the organization. This commitment is reflected in Otak’s promise to significantly increase employee diversity, impact the communities in which we work, and establish ongoing relationships within these communities.
Otak’s Vision for an Inclusive Environment includes the following:
- We embrace diverse identities, and willingly engage across difference
- All employees can experience the workplace safely and show up as their authentic selves
- Fostering unique perspectives and an open exchange of ideas
- Engaging one another with curiosity rather than judgment
- Relationships are built on mutual trust, dignity, and respect
If you are a minority, veteran, person with a disability, or a member of the LGBTQA Community, we strongly encourage and welcome you to apply to any open position of interest. If you want to learn more about Otak, this position, or the company’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, contact our Human Resources Department at GRPHumanResources@otak.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.